Making a Bird Seed Wreath

Soon it will be hard for birds to find things to eat or maybe you are a birdwatcher and like to leave out treats for your feathered friends?  When my daughter was younger, we had a tradition of making peanut butter, bird seed bagels and tying them to one of our trees with red ribbons around Christmas time!  Today I came across a recipe for making a simple homemade bird feeder.  If you have kids or grandkids this might make a neat Saturday afternoon project.  I found the recipe on a very neat website called The Rustic Lodge Lifestyle.

First you could make up a batch of bread dough or (like me) use a one pound frogen bread dough.  Roll out your dough into a rope about 30 inches long. Cut the dough lengthwise into three strands and braid them together and place them on a greased cookie pan. You can also grease the outside of a round cake pan and use it as a form - although it works just fine without one, too. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled.  Preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
Bake your wreath for about 20 minutes. Then brush with whisked ege, cover with wild bird sead and bake for another 10 minutes.

Let dry undovered for 24 hours. Then hang it outside where the brids can enjoy their Thanksgiving or Christmas present! You could even add orange food coloring to the dough for a Halloween treat!
This recipe was adapted from 365 Ways to Prepare for Christmas. Hope you enjoyed reading about this and maybe if you make a wreath up you will post a picture of it on your blog or if you don't have one send you picture to me and I'll post it on mine! Have a great day full of harvest blessings!

8 comments:

  1. You are going to be popular! Nothing like some sweet birds hangin out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is brilliant. I don't think I be making one as no matter what I have tried the Birds won't come down into our Yard as we are to closed in and there are to many Cats but I think it is an amazing Idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to try this. I spend a ridiculous amount of $$$ every winter on sunflower seeds to feed the birds. I even feed the squirrels and chipmunks.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great treat for the birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! I'll forward this to my mother-in-law. She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute---we love the birds too! :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was just catching up on all the new things you have posted. Of course I love all of your kitty items, beautiful work.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I would love to respond to your comments but I can only do this if I have your email address. If you are a 'no-reply' blogger and have a question, you may either leave an email address with your comment or send me an "E" directly. Thanks for stopping by!